Friday, January 16, 2009

"Making Of" Story


For many years an Atari 800 laptop was my "dream portable". Then after I built it I had no more worlds to conquer, so to speak. Well, I do, my custom pinball machine, but I digress. Anyway, earlier this year I had a request to build another Atari 800 laptop so I decided to have another whack at it. With less woodgrain this time, and hopefully some new features. I also wanted to redo the keyboard design.

As with the previous laptop I began with an Atari XEGS, the GS meaning "Game System", or "Gone Soon" considering how they sold. Still, it's the last model Atari 800 class computer and thus has the smallest motherboard. Why exactly Atari thought a 1979 era computer, disgusted as a game system, could compete with the NES or the Master System is beyond me. Yes, I know the NES/Master System weren't exactly technological wonders but they easily beat the 800 for graphics, I'm sad to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment